Eilean Donan Castle is a captivating medieval fortress situated on an island in the middle of three sea lochs with magnificent views of Scotland’s west coast. This iconic castle dates back to the 13th century and has been a part of the dramatic Scottish landscape for centuries.
The castle takes its name from the founder, King Donnán, who built the original timber citadel in the 6th century. After several being rebuilt several times over the centuries, it stands proudly today as one of Scotland’s most iconic landmarks, with its three large towers reflecting off the stunning waters of Loch Duich.
A visit to Eilean Donan castle offers many opportunities to explore a piece of Scotland’s long history. Visitors can take part in a self-guided tour, learn about the castle’s past, and even participate in events or activities like food festivals and concerts.
For those outdoor enthusiasts, there are plenty of activities to enjoy in the surrounding area such as biking, fishing, and canoeing. There are also numerous restaurants, hotels, and other places to stay nearby. Plus, you can visit other interesting historical attractions located nearby.
Shopping is also a popular activity when visiting the area, with many unique local stores to explore. With so much to see and do, you are sure to create lasting memories of your visit to Eilean Donan Castle.
We’re taking you to another North Coast 500 experience. Are you ready?
Self-Guided Tour of Eilean Donan Castle
Exploring Eilean Donan Castle on your own can be a magical experience. There are several routes to choose from, each offering spectacular views of the castle and its surroundings. Whether you’re an avid history buff or simply looking for something fun to do, you’ll find plenty to do here.
One of the best routes for taking a self-guided tour is the Nature Trail. This trail takes you down a path around the castle grounds, providing spectacular views of the loch, mountains and wildlife. The trail is well-marked with signs, so you can easily find your way around. Along the route, you’ll also find informative signs about the castle’s history and the natural environment.
The Tourist Trail offers a different view of the castle and its grounds. This route allows you to explore the interior of the castle while still keeping a safe distance from areas off-limits to visitors. You’ll get to see the grand chamber, the great hall and the inner courtyard, as well as learn all about the castle’s history.
Finally, the most popular self-guided tour route is the Highland Trail. This trail gives you an up-close view of the castle and its grounds, as well as a chance to take in the stunning scenery. Along the way, you can explore the grounds, visit ancient burial sites and discover the hidden beauty of nature.
No matter which route you choose, you’ll undoubtedly enjoy your time at Eilean Donan Castle. Be sure to bring a camera or smartphone, as the views here are truly breathtaking.
Activities at Eilean Donan Castle
Eilean Donan Castle is the perfect place to explore and experience all kinds of activities. From traditional food festivals and concerts to outdoor recreation opportunities, there’s something for everyone.
The castle hosts several events throughout the year including historical reenactments and jousting tournaments. You can also catch traditional Celtic music concerts and book readings.
No visit to Eilean Donan would be complete without attending a seasonal food festival. Sample local delicacies such as haggis and Cullen skink, or treat yourself to some freshly made scones and clotted cream.
In the vicinity, you’ll find plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy. Take a stroll along the rocky coastline, try your hand at fishing, or explore the hidden lochs and bays by kayak or canoe.
Eilean Donan Castle is surrounded by the stunning North West Highlands of Scotland, making it the perfect place to enjoy outdoor activities such as biking, fishing, and canoeing. Whether you prefer to explore on your own or join an organised tour, there’s something for everyone.
Biking is a popular activity in the area and visitors can find plenty of scenic trails to explore. The castle’s grounds are home to 10 miles of mountain bike trails that range from easy to difficult. You can also find many nearby roads that offer breathtaking views and challenging terrain for cyclists.
Fishing is another great way to spend your day at Eilean Donan Castle. The Loch Duich provides plenty of opportunities for trout, salmon, and sea-trout fishing. The nearby rivers also offer great spots to cast a line. If you’re looking for something more unique, why not try your hand at catching mackerel off the coast?
Canoeing is a great way to experience Eilean Donan Castle from a different perspective. Enjoy peaceful paddling in the loch, with stunning views of the castle and its surrounding countryside. For those looking for a bit more adventure, there are many nearby rivers and even the option to take part in organised sea kayaking tours.
Whichever activity you choose to enjoy near the castle, remember to always be prepared and follow local safety guidelines. Also, don’t forget to take some time to appreciate the beauty of this amazing corner of Scotland!
Accommodations near Eilean Donan Castle
Visiting Eilean Donan Castle should be a memorable experience and the accommodations in the area make it easy to do just that. There are a number of great places to stay, offering delicious meals, comfortable rooms, and other amenities. Here are some of the best options around the castle.
- Hotels: There are several hotels near the castle, offering comfortable rooms, modern amenities, and excellent service. The Eilean Donan Hotel is only a few minutes away and has stunning views of the castle and Loch Duich. Inverness is also close by and has a wide variety of hotels to choose from.
- B&Bs: Bed and breakfasts are a popular choice for visitors to Eilean Donan Castle. The Kilbrennan B&B is a favorite and is located just a short drive from the castle. Another great option is The Stables, which is situated on the edge of the lake and offers a tranquil escape.
- Camping: For those who prefer the outdoors, there are several camping sites in the area where you can pitch a tent or park your caravan. These include Scotscastle Caravan Site, Skye Campsite, and Meoble Bay Campsite.
- Restaurants: If you’re looking for a bite to eat, there are plenty of restaurants near the castle. The Castle Café and Mains of Eilean Donan both offer delicious meals and are within easy walking distance. For a more upscale experience, The Waterfront Restaurant in Kyle of Lochalsh specialises in local seafood dishes.
Finding the perfect place to stay near Eilean Donan Castle can enhance your visit immensely. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find something that meets your needs and gives you an unforgettable experience.
Eilean Donan Castle is an amazing place to explore, but that’s not all this incredible area of Scotland has to offer. There are several nearby attractions that provide plenty of additional entertainment and adventure.
- The Loch Duich Landscape Trail: The Loch Duich Landscape Trail is a great way to explore the area around the castle. The trail follows the loch’s southern shore and takes visitors through some of the most beautiful landscapes in Scotland. Along the way, you’ll encounter stunning views and have the opportunity to learn more about the area’s history and culture.
- Plockton: Not far from Eilean Donan Castle is the charming village of Plockton. This village is known for its picturesque harbour, which makes it a popular destination for tourists. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll down Plockton’s quaint streets and then take a boat tour of the loch for a unique view of the surroundings.
- Dundonnel: Dundonnel is located just to the north of Eilean Donan Castle and is home to some fascinating wildlife. This small village is well-known among birdwatchers and wildlife enthusiasts who come to spot the widely varying species of birds found throughout the area. If you’re lucky, you might even spot a rare golden eagle!
All of these attractions make visiting Eilean Donan Castle an even more memorable experience. Exploring the area around the castle is the perfect way to fully immerse yourself in the region’s natural splendour.
Eilean Donan Castle is located near some great shopping areas. If you’re looking for souvenirs, why not check out the Eilean Donan shop for a selection of castle-themed gifts? Or visit the local craft store for handmade jewellery and pottery made by talented local artisans.
If you’re looking for something more specific, then a trip to nearby Dornie village is in order. There you’ll find a range of stores, from clothes shops to butchers and bakeries. There are also several antique stores if you’re out for a special find.
Plockton, a short drive away, also has a number of independent stores selling unique items and gifts, with everything from books and toys to homeware and art.
No matter your shopping needs, there’s something to be found within easy reach of Eilean Donan Castle.
Exploring Eilean Donan Castle is an experience that should not be missed. With its picturesque setting, fascinating history and variety of activities there is something to suit all tastes when visiting this iconic landmark. So here are some top tips on how to make the most of your trip:
- Allow plenty of time to take in the sights and explore the castle grounds at your own pace.
- Take advantage of the many events that the castle hosts throughout the year – from concerts to food festivals.
- Pack a picnic for lunch and enjoy it on the castle grounds.
- Check out the nearby attractions and activities such as biking, fishing and canoeing.
- Stay awhile and take advantage of the accommodation options nearby.
- Shop around the area and pick up souvenirs as gifts or reminders of your visit.
- Make use of the information and resources available to learn more about the castle’s interesting history and landmark status.
With so much to see and do, Eilean Donan Castle is a place that will stay in your memory and your heart forever.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions about Eilean Donan Castle
Are there any tours of the castle and its grounds?
Yes, there are a variety of guided tours available. The castle offers guided tours for both adults and children and can be booked in advance online or by calling the castle offices. There are also self-guided audio tours that you can purchase to explore the castle and its grounds at your own pace.
What are the type of events and activities takes place at the castle?
Throughout the year, the castle hosts a number of special events and activities including seasonal festivals, concerts and theatrical performances. During summer months, there are also outdoor activities such as a range of nature-based walks, bike rides and canoeing trips.
Are there any restaurants or places to stay near the castle?
Yes, there are a number of restaurants and accommodations in the area including hotels, guesthouses and camping sites. Local pubs, cafes and shops are also close by and make for great places to grab a bite to eat, have a drink or pick up some souvenirs.
Are there any other attractions near the castle?
There are a number of nearby attractions such as Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle, Dunvegan Castle and Glen Nevis. You can also go fishing on nearby rivers or take a day trip to nearby beaches and islands.
The information presented in this guide is the result of careful research and has been compiled from a variety of sources including Eilean Donan Castle’s official website, local tourist boards, and public documents. We would like to extend a special thanks to all those who contributed to this guide.
FAQs About Things to do at Eilean Donan Castle
- Q: What is the history of Eilean Donan Castle?
A: Eilean Donan Castle is a restored medieval castle situated on an island near the village of Dornie in the Scottish Highlands. It was built in the 13th century and served as a stronghold for Clan Mackenzie and their allies. Over the centuries, it was destroyed and rebuilt multiple times and eventually fell into ruin until the early 20th century when it was completely reconstructed to its current form.
- Q: What can I do at Eilean Donan Castle?
A: You can explore the castle and its grounds either on a self-guided tour or a guided tour led by a local expert. There are also various events and activities that take place here including live music performances, food festivals and art exhibitions.
- Q: Are there any outdoor activities I can do near Eilean Donan Castle?
A: Yes, there are plenty of outdoor activities you can enjoy around Eilean Donan Castle. These include fishing, mountain biking, canoeing, horseback riding and taking walks through the surrounding countryside.
- Q: Is there anywhere to stay near Eilean Donan Castle?
A: Yes, there are several hotels and self-catering accommodation providers situated near Eilean Donan Castle offering comfortable rooms and great hospitality.
- Q: Are there other attractions near Eilean Donan Castle that I can visit?
A: Yes, there are various nearby attractions you may wish to explore such as Urquhart Castle, Loch Ness and the Inverness Botanic Gardens.
- Q: Where can I find the best places to shop near Eilean Donan Castle?
A: The nearby towns of Kyleakin and Plockton both offer a great selection of independent shops selling local crafts, clothing, artwork and souvenirs.
- Q: Are there any photos and videos available so I can get a better idea of what Eilean Donan Castle looks like?
A: Yes, there are many photographs and videos available online that give a good overview of the castle and its surroundings.
You have completed another majestic part NC500 guide. It’s for you to see it through your bare eyes.
Maximise Your NC500 Experience!
Our newsletter is packed with helpful tips and resources to help you save money and time when planning your NC500 experience. Sign up now and join our community of savvy NC500'ers.